Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Hamburger Helper-Selfer

  A usual tradition after eating heavy over the holidays is to make a change one's diet to ease off the heavy n' rich foods.  Not here.  After pretty much calling a hult to chicken n' waffles, i've been directed via Yelp via Erik Siebert.  There are a lot of burger joints in the east bay as well as in s.f. area.  The best I have yet, is 4505's burger that has an egg on it.  I tried finding the exact name but the vendor they have on Satirday's Ferry Farmers Makert doesn't post any menu links.
Since then I have tried four or five different burger places - Giant Burger. I would say it's pretty much only good if i'm super tired and it's on my way.  Second place was Bongo Burger.  My roommate recommened that and it was just okay.  Third place DAHFB post Ahn's. Fourth Roam Artistan Burger's and Fifth Umami.  I truly went from the best down to the worse and then worked my way up to second best.
Roam is an interesting place.  I went on a Friday, I believe, last week. I ordered one Beef Sunny Side style and one Bison Heritage style. Sweet potato fries on the side. Want to try Elk next time with Tejano style and payin that magic $2.99 extra.


The experience at Umami, I went on a Saturday afternoon with my brother Erik.  We had just traded some old tunes in for new ones and credit.  I scored a nice dollar copy of John Phillips' Wolf King of L.A.  So I was already in a good mood.  Btw, the previous night I had my first migraine headache complete with yacking up into the toilet.  So upon waking up Saturday I felt much like how one would feel if you were hungover.
Anyways, so I'm feeling kind of nauseous but I'm jazzed about the Amoeba visit, and I'm starving for something to eat.  Luckily, at Umami, there is no line, and my brother and I are sitted by a nice looking waitress.  I look at the menu and see there is a problem. No egg topping on the burgers? Say wha?
Luckily the tasty looking waitress comes back to take drink orders and delivers the special.  the Brunch burger special of the day, as you guessed it, has a sunny side egg on top.  Thank goodness gracious.
Bro ends up throwing me a curve ball by ordering tots. Say huh?  I veer off the sharing bit and decide to go on my "if it ain't broke don't fix it" sweet potato fry side routine.  In retrospect, we didn't take any shots of the sauces but we were greeted to several appearances of the diablo sauce.  I truly have never had a great experience with diablo sauces, they don't exactly bring the fire.
About the burger, I thought the meat (which seemed the same quality as Roam) at Umami was cooked better, a little rarer than my burgers at Roam. Thus making Umami the 1st runner up behind 4505.  The only bad thing I'll say about Umami is that the burger was waaay too small for the price I was paying. WTB? After I revisted Roam and got a much needed Blue Bottle Milk Shake.  Was delish.

Here are some pics from Umami.

             
     me thinking about burgers, specifically the kind with an egg on it                                  

                                                                                     
me confirming the egg is on there, and it looks fantastic (hasta la vista, lettuce)

               
                                 let's get a better shot of that, yes?

Time to wind this edition down, but don't worry I've been eating everyday. Today I was feeling a little run-down so I slept in a tad bit and then hit my local neighborhood Pho' place, Pho Anh Dao.  And oh, was it good.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment