Monday, December 12, 2011

Tastes Oaky

Hey Betty what's that blue shit on your head?
Hi Oregooooooooo.......erm, Californians! That's right I have made my way south down to Oakland.  I have left the crazy town of Eugene. The town of goofball swingers, long boarders, and vaudevillians and other shenanigans.
Upon moving to Oakland I have picked up three jobs, two in the food industry and one being a free agent in the carpentry and construction industry.
I have a long back log of food spots I have hit repeatedly and I apologize for only now getting down to the nitty gritty. Uh here we go now......
One of my first spots was a previously mentioned DAHFB post, Gordo's.  Gordo's is still going strong with their super burritos, tacos, quesadillas and assorted mexican flair.  New at Gordo's is the tagtile program.  Your probably wondering, what the heck is tagtile?  Well if you have an Iphone, you can download the ap called tagtile which enabled you to get rewards for your loyalty to excellent cuisine.  At the checkout counter there is a little box with a green light on it.  You wave your little phone in front of it until it vibrates and it fills in a box which over the course of 9 visits, you will have earned yourself a free burrito.  I am currently at 5. Thanks Gordo's.
Upon finding an apartment in the Lake Merrit area of Oakland, I started hitting a little Vietnamese spot called Cam Huong. This place is quite dangerous as their Vietnamese Sammies start at only $2.50. There most expensive sammie is only $3.00.  I'm currently taking a long break from Cam Huong because I plan to only have weekly binges there at lease twice a month.  My favorites there are the Chicken Curry, the bbq pork and pretty much anything that Cam Huong makes.  By the way don't do lunch on the weekdays as there will be a long line.  We'll be talking about lines ltr.
Another spot I have been frequenting is Taqueria Can-Cun. This place is located in what apparently is stupidly known as "the city". What hippie came up with that moniker? I for one will never acknowledge or follow suit with this concoction.  The bay area and east bay area is made up of several cities.  I for one will not bow down to s.f. as "the city".  Anyways, Can-Cun's burritos taste even better than Gordo's when you're hungry.  I've been hitting carnitas as if no other meat exists lately and i've been happy as a clam getting porked at 6th and Market.  Also the atmosphere at Can-Cun is more up my route as it feels like a dive bar.
One place that I had noticed just from riding by on the 1 and 1r is Bakesale Betty's. This place get's a line longer than the ones Robin Williams snorted in the late seventies.  They never bothered to put their name on the onning and they garner so much business that they wrap up their day at 2pm.  Their options are limited to a Chicken Sandwich, Cole Slaw and baked goods. No not those kind of baked goods, more like cookies n' such.  By the time I went to Bakesale Betty's I was really hammering for some fried chicken and I was very close to going to Church's to see the lord.  Yelp steered me in a better direction, i.e. Evil Betty.  I realized this was the place where the drastic line was that goes out the door and to the next to business down the sidewalk.  I for one don't have time for lines, mind you so I got myself down to Betty's half an hour after they opened.  I got myself two Chicken Sammies.  The hooplah about these sammies is that the coleslaw has Jalapenos in it.  The chicken is also 1st rate other than the fact that these goofballs have apparently made the sammie smaller than it's original design.  C'mon, Beatty don't play us like this.  I've been dying to go back but taking a bus ride just to get chicken sammies seems a bit excessive.  Also excessive is that these miniaturized sammies are way too expensive.  What is this, wallstreet?  But girl, I do love Betty's Chicken Sammies.
Next on my list of places to hit is the Chicken n' Waffles joint called 900 Grayson, home of the Demon Lover. Another is Lynn and Lu's Escapade Cafe, as I'm sure I'll have some wild adventures with some egg's benedict.
By the way I have my eyes on a bbq joint here called DD's barbeque.  These goofballs are voted year after year for best barbeque in the east bay area and recently they have thrown in the towel due to construction near Lake Merrit. Specifically my eyes are on DD's as I would like to buy the location and call it Dirty D's or something along those lines.  It would be both sweet and vinegary (Carolina style) bbq.  Someday.
Stay strong my chubby minions.

2 comments:

  1. When is DaveAmatuer going to take on movie reviews?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reviews of movies or reviews of reviews of movies?

    ReplyDelete