Thursday, January 6, 2011

For the Love of the Pizza

Hi Fatsos,

Well I'm trying to live up to my new year's resolutions, so here I am.  More specifically I'm in Rochester, New York helping the family accounting business during tax season.
Above: some of the wall decor in the office.

One of the perks of working here is I get to eat real pizza, (sorry west coast, stick to your excellent mexican food and leave pizza to be done the right way for the east coasters).
As for the pizza options here, just about anything locally owned is better than the majority of pizza places on the pacific side of the country, but none can top the best locations of Pontillo's.  Pontillo's is Western New York's largest locally owned pizza chain.  Mark's, Salvatore's (I can't stand how they feel the urge to scream their name at me in their commercials) and the long defunct (or is it?) Mr. Shoe's pizza; you all should be ashamed of yourselves.
It needs to be mentioned though that not all Pontillo's locations live up to the standard.  I've eaten at about four different locations and the original location (which unfortunately closed a couple years ago) did not do me well.  The reason for this was because they offered a buffet with pizzas the size of pizza hut pizza buffets.  Baloney.
Still to me the best ones are the locations in Le Roy and Bushnell's Basin.  The one in Le Roy always cuts their slices to maximum pizzamegascaleocity and I have never had a bad slice.  Bushnell's is good because they cook the pizzas consistent (nice n crispy just how papa likes it).  The fourth and most frequent Pontillo's I dine from is good but Pittsford inflation makes their slices about fifty to sixty cents more than the Bushnells location which is just miles down the street.  Say wha?
Also it needs to be understood that if you buy the slice instead of a whole pizza, the slices are going to be far superior to the whole pizza. Don't ask me why, I'm just telling you.

Today for you, i ordered their pepperoni, their white cheese with broccoli and tomato and lastly their regular cheese.  All were delicious today, and since they moved two doors down from the old location (btw, the new business in there, Hungry's, is baloney. three dollars for a hot dog? F-U!) I remember from High School they finally are getting better about cooking these pizzas long enough for that nice crispy crust.  I owe that to Mr. Jeffrey Dunlap.  Way to go boss.




                                                 Above: Come to Papa!


             Next to come...... Rochester's claim to fame....... The Garbage Plate.

4 comments:

  1. The days where I would grab a slice and a tasty bottle of Pirate's Keg root beer are seared in my nostalgic memory.
    -J. Thompson

    P.S. Be careful parking your car in the parking lot behind the Pittsford location. You may have all the change stolen from your car's ashtray, not unlike what happened to the author of this web page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Update: Batavia Pontillo's has re-opened.

    ReplyDelete